The 2020 AGU Fall Meeting will take place virtually between Dec. 1 – 17. For full meeting information, please visit https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting.
Fall Meeting events of particular interest to the EPSP community
EP033 - EPSP Business Meeting, Awards Ceremony, and Robert Sharp Lecture, Thursday, 10 December 2020, 18:00-20:00 EST
Thanks to everyone who came out for the business meeting, the Sharp Lecture, and our EPSP Geomorphologist Night on Wonder! In case you missed it, we've posted the slides from the EPSP Business Meeting.
EP036 - Earth and Planetary Surface Processes General Contributions I Posters, Friday, 11 December 2020, 7:00-23:59 EST
A highlight of every meeting!
EPSP Speed Networking Event
Tuesday, 15 December 2020, 18:00-19:00 EST
Back by popular demand, the EPSP section is hosting a "speed-networking" session, where early career scientists meet and mingle in small groups with experienced professional from a wide variety of career paths. This event is sold out.
Fall Meeting Session Q&A (responses from Nicole Oliphant, Assistant Director, AGU Scientific Programs and Amy Bocian, Program Coordinator, AGU Meetings)
- TH003 - Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) in the AGU Hydrology Community and Beyond, Tuesday, Tuesday, 1 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH006 - Forward to the Moon for Science and Exploration: Town Hall with Platform Providers, Selected Payloads, and NASA Representatives, Tuesday, 1 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH009 - Where Do We Go from Here? The 2020 Election, Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH011 - Science and Deployment Plan for the DOE Third Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Mobile Facility: Coupled Observational–Modeling Studies of Land–Aerosol–Cloud Interactions in the Southeastern United States, Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH012 - How Are We Doing and What Comes Next? Results from the ADVANCEGeo Survey of Work Experiences Across Earth and Space Sciences, Wednesday, 2 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH019 - Decadal Survey Surface Topography and Vegetation Incubation Study Town Hall, Thursday, 3 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH030 - Reflections and Recommendations on Developing an Institution-Specific DEI Action Plan, Friday, 4 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH031 - Status Report on the National Academies' Decadal Survey on Planetary Science and Astrobiology, Friday, 4 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH035 - AGU Strategic Plan, Friday, 4 December 2020, 19:00-20:00 EST
- TH038 - Hydrologic Sciences Meeting 2022: Updates and Community Input, Monday, 7 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH039 - The Greenhouse Gas Earth Emergency: The Legacy of Many Now-Unavoidable Earth System and Human System Impacts, Monday, 7 December 2020, 19:00-20:00 EST
- TH047 - A Vision for NSF Earth Sciences 2020-2030: Earth in Time Town Hall, Tuesday, 8 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH050 - What's New in NSF Geosciences?, Tuesday, 8 December 2020, 19:00-20:00 EST
- TH052 - Capacity Building in the Field of SAR Remote Sensing: Comparing Current Training Resources, Tools, and Services to Community Needs, Tuesday, 8 December 2020, 22:00-23:00 EST
- TH056 - New and Expanding Community-Driven Research Programs to Understand Watershed and Coastal Processes, Wednesday, 9 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH063 - NOAA Modeling Forum, Thursday, 10 December 2020, 10:00-11:00 EST
- TH068 - Next Steps to Understand Extension of the Lithosphere, Thursday, 10 December 2020, 19:00-20:00 EST
- TH072 - NASA Earth Science Division Town Hall, Friday, 11 December 2020, 13:30-14:30 EST
- TH080 - NASA Planetary Science Division Town Hall, Monday, 14 December 2020, 13:00-14:00 EST
- TH081 - NASA's Surface Biology and Geology Designated Observable Study: Science, Applications, and Recommended Architecture, Monday, 14 December 2020, 19:00-20:00 EST
- TH097 - Diversity and Inclusion in the Earth and Space Sciences: Candid Discussion with the AGU Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, Wednesday, 16 December 2020, 13:00-14:00 EST
- What are the panel discussions and virtual poster walkthroughs for posters that have been advertised by AGU?
Please know that poster session chairs will also be able to schedule a “poster summary/walk” where they can use this time to introduce poster presenters in their sessions or highlight specific posters. Session chairs will receive an email with information regarding scheduling these sessions in the coming week. The format of these events are flexible and it will be up to the conveners and chairs to determine how they’d like to use the time.
- Can session chairs let AGU know preferred times for poster walkthroughs? Will AGU publish any panel discussion or virtual poster walkthrough on their schedule?
We are still determining at this time how the scheduling information will appear in the meeting program but we hope to finalize this information very soon.
- Can I change my posters even after uploading it on November 20th?
Please know that the virtual posters can be updated after the 20th. We are asking that all poster and eLightning presenters have their posters created and published by the 20th so that we can ensure they are checked for quality and available in the library for all attendees to begin viewing at the start of the meeting on 1 December.
- Can I change our oral presentation after uploading it on November 20th?
Unfortunately, although the upload function will still be available after 20 November, we are not able to guarantee that updates made to a pre-recorded oral file will be available during the meeting. This is because each uploaded video file must be checked by AGU staff for accessibility and overall viewing quality, with the goal to have all content available to the registered attendees to begin watching oral presentations and consuming the poster content on-demand when the meeting starts on 1 December. We will not have the necessary support to perform quality control on the pre-recorded oral presentations while simultaneously running the live virtual meeting. The deadline of 20 November was as late as we could push given that it is 10 days before the start of the meeting, a gap that includes the US holiday of Thanksgiving.
- What are the best practices around captioning talks and videos?
Regarding captioning, there is an option to provide captions in the iPoster software to caption specific portions or the entire poster. For oral session presenters the software we are using to view the pre-recorded presentations will have the option for the viewer to turn on or off. The live Q&A sessions will have the ability as well.
We will be giving session chairs the ability to view and check oral presentations that have been uploaded and authors will be able to view their uploads. Also, as the poster library and oral presentations will be available on 1 December, if there are any issues the author can re-upload their files prior to the start of the scientific session on 7 December.
- How can presenters make sure presentation files are uploaded correctly?