Statement of Purpose
The AGU Science and Society (SY) section works to (1) support and grow a community that actively facilitates stronger connections between societies and Earth and space sciences and (2) foster innovations within AGU that better enables discoveries and solutions in the geosciences to benefit humanity.
Our section does this by:
- Serving as a place within AGU for those whose scholarship includes science policy, community science, citizen science, science communication, social and behavioral sciences, and art and science;
- Building meaningful cross-disciplinary collaborations with other AGU sections that enable science to better address societal needs;
- Creating a welcoming community for decision makers and practitioners to maintain strong connections and partnerships with the Earth and space sciences;
- Elevating geoscience in diverse communities, especially those historically underserved by and underrepresented in science;
- Providing learning opportunities about how the Earth and space sciences can inform policy making, best practices in communicating science, and how to effectively work with communities and decision makers; and
- Sharing information about relevant societal and policy issues with all AGU members.