Chair: James Hurrell, National Center for Atmospheric Research
- Artesha Moore
- Antonio Covington
AGU’s Honors Program aligns with AGU’s mission, vision, core values, and strategic plan.
- Select the recipient of the AGU Atmospheric Sciences Section Turco Lectureship Committee; the final decision is subject for approval of the AGU Atmospheric Sciences Section President/Chair.
- Interpret the scope of the award broadly and in accordance with stated purpose for the award.
- Do not depend solely on unsolicited nominations. Although committee members are not eligible to submit nominations, they need to be proactive by encouraging nominations through committee member contacts.
- Conform to AGU conflict of interest policies and protocols for selection committees. State, as part of the award recommendation to the AGU Atmospheric Sciences Section President/Chair, the number of candidates considered.
- Define an objective and fair process used for reaching the decision.
- In addition to selecting the recipient of the AGU Atmospheric Sciences Bjerkes Lecture, the Award Committee members should work with the Atmospheric Sciences Executive Committee and Advisory Board to increase the number of nominations of viable candidates in underrepresented groups.
Timeline & Commitment
Award committee members and chairs serve a two year commitment. The work of this committee is done primarily through the online submission and review system, by telephone conference calls and email.
Below is the 2021 award year work plan timeline:
- 15 January 2021: Nominations Open
- 15 April 2021: Nominations Close
- 1 May - 3 June 2021: Committee work - review, deliberations and final recommendations
- 15 June 2021: SFG President approves committee selection
- Mid to Late July 2021: Official announcement of AGU Section Award & Lecture Honorees