The Honors Program Canvassing Oversight Subcommittee provides oversight and guidance to AGU’s section canvassing committees for the Honors and Recognition Program at all levels including Union-level awards, medals and prizes; Fellows Program, and section awards and lectures. This group reports to the Honors and Recognition Committee.
The Honors Canvassing Oversight Subcommittee provides oversight and guidance to AGU’s section canvassing committees for the Honors and Recognition Program at all levels including Union-level awards, medals and prizes; Fellows Program, and section awards and lectures. This group reports to the Honors and Recognition Committee. The committee is charged with oversight of the section canvassing committees and will work to increase the number of nominations, diversify the pool of nominations as well as contribute to the awareness of implicit bias throughout the nomination process. Additionally, the group will guide and assist with increasing awareness, education and adoption of best practices specific to the nomination process as well as promotion of diversity within the Honors and Recognition programs. The subcommittee will partner with AGU staff, the Honors and Recognition committee, other committees and sections to accomplish its work. Scope of work includes:
- Work with section canvassing committees to increase the numbers of qualified candidates in underrepresented groups as well as increase participation from members with undersubscribed honors.
- Track progress and demographics of nominations throughout the submission and review stages.
- Partner with staff to provide training to all section canvassing committees on policies, procedures and best practices for the nomination process.
- Examine and report on nomination data to determine whether the quantity, diversity and quality of nominations meet goals identified by the Honors and Recognition committee.
- Provide input on section canvassing committees’ procedures, analyze results and make recommendations for improving processes to the Honors and Recognition committee.
- Provide resources and support to section canvassing committees to help them conduct their work.
- Collaborate with AGU’s marketing team to identify strategies and tactics to manage nominations, including increase for undersubscribed honors.
- Participate in four virtual meetings annually, approximately one each quarter.
- Participate in one face-to-face meeting held in conjunction with the AGU Fall Meeting.
- Participate in Section Canvassing Committee training as needed during the nomination period.
Honors Program Policies
To review the Honors program policies, please visit https://www.agu.org/Honor-and-Recognize/Honors/Nomination-resources/Honor-Program-Policies