AGU is currently seeking volunteers to serve on selection committees for the Union Awards, Medals and Prizes Program. Selection committees are responsible for reviewing nominations and selecting the recipient(s). Additionally, in partnership with the Honors and Recognition Committee and staff, the selection committees work to ensure that the program is superior in all respects, recognizes all constituents, and fosters a global network of individuals in the Earth and space science who epitomize excellence and cooperation in research, education, and outreach.
Selection committees operate on an annual or biannual basis, depending on the award. To view the list of Union awards, medals and prizes, click on the following link: https://www.agu.org/Honor-and-Recognize/Honors/Union-Awards.
Scope of work includes:
- Select respective honoree(s).
- Review data from respective award selection processes for the past years to determine if the program is achieving AGU’s relevant goals.
- Examine and report on program data to determine whether the number and quality of nominations are competitive.
- Recommend, implement, and evaluate strategies used to increase diversity of nomination.
- Participate in training, orientations, and workshops on associated Honors and Recognition
- Provide input and recommendations to the Honors and Recognition Committee on policies and processes and program improvements.
- Partner with AGU leaders and staff, as well as other societies to resolve common issues among scientific communities’ recognition programs.
- Selection committee members will abide by AGU’s Conflict of Interest Policy, program policies, procedures and guidelines set by the Union.
- Committee members must fully participate in the following:
- Committee review/selection process (anticipated review time is approximately 4-5 hours a week).
- Committee deliberations (virtual)
- Training webinars
Peak times for committee work are during the months of March through June.