Minutes for Unsaturated Zone Technical Committee Meeting
Monday, December 9, 2019, 6:45 am – 7:45 am
Marriott Marquis, Nob Hill A, Lower B2, San Francisco, CA.
Attendees: Raghavendra Jana, Veronica Morales, Joaquin Jimenez-Martinez, Shahab Karimifard, Thomas Phelan, Kathleen M. Smits, Teamrat A. Ghezzehei, Ian Molnar, Thomas Harter, Bo Gao, Zhen Li, Yusong Li
Membership update: A list of current members is attached at the end of this document. Feel free to recommend new members. AGU recommends rotating off members who did not show up in the committee meeting in the past three years. Emails will be sent out to double-check the membership.
Website: Great thanks to Raghu for developing the first version of the committee website! https://connect.agu.org/hydrology/about/committees/unsat
The committee decided to create a communications subcommittee, one director and one associate director, with a one-year overlap between the terms. Current subcommittee officers:
Communications Director: Raghavendra Jana (Term Jan 2019-Dec 2020)
Communications Associate Director: Veronica Morales (Term: Jan 2020 – Dec 2021)
Student members: Zhen Li, Bo Gao, and Shahab Karimifard
Recommendations from student members:
- Solicit short updates (several sentences) from committee members quarterly and share them on the website.
- The committee chair will send out emails to soliciting updates every quarter and students will help synthesize and put onto the website.
- Recommend the committee use social media.
- A Twitter account was established shortly after the meeting by Raghu. Those of you on Twitter please follow @unsathydro and tag it on your related tweets.
Mini-award: Two presentations (poster and/or oral) will be selected from the General Vadose Zone Hydrology Session; Session organizers will help select the top three candidates.
Feedback from session conveners on this year’s sessions: Generally all good. Some experienced some issues during the session merge process. Some questions were raised about the standard of the mergers - is it unique to the hydrology section? Concerns will be communicated to the AGU hydrology section.
Recommendations for next year’s sessions:
1. Volunteers to organize the General Vadose Zone Hydrology session:
Ian Molnar, Teamrat Ghezzehei, Raghavendra Jana, and Veronica Morales
Thank you!! The session will continue to have an oral section. Session organizers will also help with the committee's annual award evaluation.
2. Ideas for 2020 Session proposals:
- Colloid transport session – suggested to tie-in with Micro/nano-plastics in soils/health
Multiphase flow session
AI/machine learning session – particularly for soil and vadose zone processes
Climate change and groundwater – continue collaboration with groundwater committee
Environmental monitoring - sensors, near-surface measurements.
Vapor transport of VOC - Vapor intrusion; Interaction with land-atmosphere; gas transport/ VOC/pesticide… / multiphase flow…
Vadose and public heath – emerging contaminants/uptake by crop/ sea
List of Committee Members:
Yusong Li (Chair 2019-2020)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Joaquin Jimenez-Martinez (Deputy Chair, 2019-2020)
Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology
Teamrat A. Ghezzehei (Past Chair 2017-2018)
University of California, Merced
Communication Director: Raghavendra (Raghu) Jana (Term Jan 2019-Dec 2020)
Communication Associate Director: Veronica Morales (Term: Jan 2020 – Dec 2021)
- Teamrat A. Ghezzehei, University of California, Merced
- Thomas Phelan, U.S. Air Force Academy
- Raghavendra (Raghu) Jana, Skoltech, Russia
- Manoj Shukla, New Mexico State University
- Thomas Harter, University of California – Davis
- Joshua Larsen, University of Queensland, Australia
- Kathleen M. Smits, University of Texas, Arlington
- Clare Robinson, University of Western Ontario
- Wei Zhang, Michigan State University
- Chadi Sayde, Oregon State University
- Ryan Steward, Virginia Tech
- Lirong Zhong, Pacific Northwest National Lab
- Veronica Morales, UC Davis
- Jason Gurdak, San Francisco State University
- Ian Molnar, University of Edinburgh
- Nandita Gaur, University of Georgia
- Shahab Karimifard, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (student member)
- Bo Gao, Colorado School of Mines (student member)
- Zhen Li, Colorado School of Mines (student member)