Two pre-workshop short courses are being offered. A two-day workshop on Airborne Electromagnetic Data Processing and Inversion will be offered on 9 and 10 June. A one day workshop on From AEM Data to 3D Hydrogeological Conceptual Model will be offered on 10 June.
Short Course Title:
Airborne Electromagnetic Data Processing and Inversion
Professor Esben Auken, Associate Professor Anders V. Christiansen and more, HydroGeophysics Group, Aarhus University
Day One: 9 June 2019 from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Day Two: (Optional) 10 June 2019 from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM
Description: The purpose of the course is to provide the participants with an insight into the ideas and theories behind processing and inversion of AEM data. The focus is on high resolution datasets collected for geological (mineral exploration), hydrological, and geotechnical purposes.
Day One Content:
The purpose of the first day of the course is to provide the participants with a theoretical insight into processing and inversion of AEM data and on how the instruments in principal works. We focus on time domain data (TAEM) but does also touch upon frequency domain data (FAEM).
The first day will have presentations focused on:
- Basic theory of (airborne) electromagnetics
- Walkthrough different airborne electromagnetic systems carried on aircraft and helicopter platforms
- Basic function of an AEM instrument
- Data processing and filtering
- System response characterization and influence on the model output
- Data calibration at test sites and with groundbased systems
- Characterization of data influenced by induced polarization
- Data inversion with special focus on Lateral and Spatial constrained inversion (time and frequency domain data)
- Smooth and sharp model description
- Hybrid inversion, inversion optimization and construction of starting models
- Inversion of data influenced by induced polarization
Day Two (optional) Content:
The purpose of the second day of the course is to provide the participants insight into how processing and inversion of AEM data is carried out in practice. For this, we use the software package Aarhus Workbench. The course is a good opportunity for new users to get to know this software, and it is an opportunity for experienced users to go deeper into the gritty nitty.
The day is optional. The course consist of a mixture of hands-on exercises and short introductions. Course participants will work with recently collected airborne datasets. All exercises and presentations are linked to the theory presented in the first day. During the hands-on exercises l cover the following topics:
Registration: Short course registration will open soon. The cost is $100.00 USD.
- Introduction to Aarhus Workbench
- Data processing – setup of data filters, culling of coupled data, workflow, and checklists
- Data inversion – Laterally Constrained and Spatial Constrained inversion, feedback to processing, smooth and sharp regularization, explicit or implicit system description, 1D and 2D (HEM only), induced polarization
- Model evaluation – residuals and misfit, maps, cross sections, reporting.
Short Course Title:
From AEM Data to 3D Hydrogeological Conceptual Model
Mats Lundh Gulbrandsen, R&D Consultant, I•GIS
10 June 2019 from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM
Groundwater mapping and hydrogeological conceptual modelling, using AEM data is a “hot topic”. The Geoscience Team at I•GIS is a part of the Danish suite of technical solution providers within the field of groundwater modeling and therefore has extensive expertise and experience in this area.
This one day “hands-on” course goes through the practicalities of building a 3D conceptual model from scratch using AEM and other data types by combining cross-sections, GIS maps and 3D visualization in the interpretation process – with the focus on how to get the most out of your AEM data. In addition to the traditional manual modeling techniques, we will introduce and go through examples on how to utilize Machine Learning tools in the modeling process – including clustering algorithms and the Smart Interpretation method… The course will be a combination of short lectures and exercises, and at the end of the day you will have touched base with the main principles behind building a hydro stratigraphic conceptual model.
For the exercises in the course we will use the GeoScene3D software package – To be able to carry out the exercises, the course participants will get free access to the software during the course.
The participants are required to bring their own laptops with a reasonable graphics card, see more on https://www.geoscene3d.com.
Registration: Short course registration will open soon. The cost is $50.00 USD.